Monday, March 12, 2007

Poverty, Making a Difference

Poverty
pov·er·ty

“A condition where a person does not have sufficient economic and other resources to live with dignity, choices and power, which support full participation in society.”

As many of you know (and don't know) I have always possessed a strong passion towards solving poverty. I have recently rekindled this interest and am going to work harder than ever (in conjunction with my previous post).

I have now posted banners on my blog and want to give some information to everyone. I plan on devoting a large amount of my time and resources to these causes in the future and I encourage you to do the same if possible.

I will also try to post my PowerPoint presentation on Fargo-Moorhead poverty somehow, but I don't really have a good place to host it. Ideas?

Site: Make Poverty History
Site: One.org
Videos: Make Poverty History Videos
F-M Statistics: Wilder Report

The videos are amazing. Make sure to watch the ones towards the middle, they are the best in my opinion.

To list off some fun statistics to get started, there are over 800 people homeless each night in Fargo-Moorhead. 64% of people living in poverty work full time (2000 U.S. Census).

I HIGHLY encourage you to take a look at the Wilder Report listed above. It is amazing and contains some really interesting information on Fargo-Moorhead living conditions.

If you have questions or want to assist, feel free to contact me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my baby :)

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

to host your powerpoint: slideshare?

saw your clustrmap. check out our latest classroom creation: spudbiz.wikispaces.com
we could use some wordly hits on our clustrmap :)

Ann Hagen

Unknown said...

Hi Jake! My name is Meagan and I work with the ONE Campaign. I just wanted to say thanks for the great post on ONE and the other organizations also doing their part to try and alleviate extreme poverty ! Because of your show of enthusiastic support, we will be adding your blog as a link on ONE's blog page. You will be able to check it out at http://action.one.org/blog/.
It will still be a few days until we add you to our growing list of supporters, but keep checking out the web page. Thanks again for your support and enjoy the rest of your travels!!

Meagan McManus
The ONE Campaign